For advertisers the big question is: which form of video advertising is the most effective to boost sales? Is it TV, or Facebook, or YouTube?
The aim of some research commissioned by ThinkTV was to determine which aspects of video advertising lead to revenue growth for advertisers. The research on the sales effect of more than 18,000 different ads showed that TV advertising attracts the most consumers attention and has the best picture quality – making sales effect 2.4 times higher than Facebook and 2.75 times higher than YouTube.
The sample consisted of 2,583 consumers, and the effect of TV and video advertisements (a total of 18,219) on the purchase intention of different brands (a total of 38,745) was examined.
The following results were emerged from the study:
1. The greater the attention for advertising, the more often the brand is bought.
2. TV commercials are viewed 2 times more actively than video commercials on YouTube.
3. TV advertising generates 2.4 times more sales impact (44% more sales) than Facebook and 2.75 times more than YouTube.
The study also looked at the effect of the same advertising on a different platform. This showed that consumers who see a video advertisement on TV pay more attention to the advertisement than when they see the exact same video advertisement on Facebook or YouTube.
Two possible explanations that came out from the research were:
- Video advertisement on Facebook and YouTube occupy only a small part of the screen and are therefore less visible than TV advertisements. TV commercials always use 100% of the screen. The smaller the portion of the screen that is used, the less strong the sales effect.
- The image quality (the number of pixels that are visible for a certain time) of video advertisements on Facebook and YouTube is less good than that of TV advertisements.
Research shows that TV advertising attracts the most consumer attention & are more effective. But online advertising has its own benefits, such as global reach, cost effectiveness & the possibility to directly target the audience. We at All Response Media however do believe that the best effectiveness is reached when there is a combination between traditional & online media.
Read more information on our TV services.